Prep: 10 mins Cook: 1 hr 10 mins Total: 1 hr 20 mins
The idea behind this recipe is that the potatoes suck up the amazing lemon-garlic-oregano flavoured broth, then roasted until golden.
- 1.2 kg / 2.5lb potatoes , starchy (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chicken stock/broth , low sodium (Note 2)
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml olive oil
- 1/3 cup / 85 ml lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt (Note 3)
- Lemon wedges, fresh oregano leaves
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan).
- Peel potatoes and cut large ones into thick wedges – about 3cm / 1.2″ thick – and medium ones into 3 (see photo in post).
- Place in a roasting pan with all the other ingredients. Toss well.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Turn potatoes, roast for a further 25 to 30 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed by potatoes/evaporated and you’re left with mainly oil in the pan.
- To crisp the potatoes (optional): Transfer potatoes to a separate tray. (Note 3) Tilt the original roasting pan and scoop off as much of the oil as you can (some juices is ok), then drizzle over the potatoes.
- Transfer potatoes to oven and roast for 20 – 25 minutes, turning once or twice, until potatoes are golden and a bit crispy.
- Return the pan with the garlic juices to the oven for the last 5 – 10 minutes or so to reduce down and make the garlic golden. (Optional, Note 4)
- Transfer potatoes to serving platter. Drizzle over the reduced garlic pan juices (or toss potatoes in the pan). Serve, garnished with lemon wedges and oregano if desired.